How Many Cups of Hibiscus Tea Should You Drink Per Day?
Hibiscus tea is a popular beverage in the most of the world. It has some varieties and are served either hot or cold, and is often served with added flavors. It is also known as “sour tea.”
Around the world, this tea is known by different names. This tea can be added to some drinks which can be served in the house similarly like matcha green tea and yerba mate.
Hibiscus has numerous benefits as it is loaded with antioxidants. It is because of such high presence of antioxidants that the tea can be considered to be a ‘therapeutic agent,’ as stated by an article published in 2012 in Journal of Experimental Pharmacology.
Several studies have also found that hibiscus tea is very useful in treating high blood pressure. Though it has numerous benefits in managing a lot of diseases, you should be aware that too much of Hibiscus tea can be harmful to health.
So, you should be careful with its consumption limit. It is better to restrict the consumption limit and enjoy the benefits.
So, let’s find out how many cups of Hibiscus tea should you drink per day?
How Much Hibiscus Tea Should You Drink Per Day?
There are many health benefits related to the amount of consumption of hibiscus tea. Health specialist often suggests you can drink up to three cups of hibiscus tea per day.
But in any case, consult with your doctor about your diet concerns to get the permission if you should include hibiscus tea in your diet or not.
The experts from University of Michigan Health System have found the impact of drinking hibiscus tea on lowering blood pressure. They recommend that one should mix 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried hibiscus flower into 1 cup of water and drink it. It also says that you can drink up to three cups of hibiscus per day.
Further recommendations of the health experts suggest that before breakfast you should drink a serving of 500 milliliters of hibiscus tea per day. This will help to the level of high blood pressure.
As per WebMD, Hibiscus tea is often prepared when in 150ml to 500ml of boiling water 1.25-10 grams or 150mg/kg of hibiscus is added. This tea is often steeped for ten to thirty minutes and should be sipped for one to three times per day regularly for two to six weeks.
There are different studies which have stated that you can drink two to three times of Hibiscus on a daily basis.
Nevertheless, you must talk to your doctor before starting the hibiscus tea consumption if you have any existing health condition.
As suggested by Bastyr Center for Natural Health at the University of Pennsylvania, hibiscus tea may open your blood vessels and can also expand your blood vessels. Consuming hibiscus tea every day can result in reducing systolic blood pressure.
You should also consult with your doctor about drinking hibiscus tea if you are on medication for hypertension or low blood pressure. If your doctor recommends, you can sip on it
Since it is sour, you can also flavor it by adding ingredients like clove, ginger, and sugar.
Research Studies About Consumption of Hibiscus Tea
Several studies have been conducted to determine the impact of drinking two to three cups of hibiscus tea on a daily basis.
As per a study conducted by National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, the people who consume 14 cups or more than it for every week in the first few years after their heart attack have the lowest rate of mortality.
Hibiscus is used for being helpful in lowering the risk of developing any cardiovascular disorder and also prevents the risk of heart attack. It is also associated with the benefit of reducing the symptoms of heart diseases.
Another study conducted in Nigeria has found that hibiscus tea helps to reduce blood pressure more than that of the medicine hydrochlorothiazide, which is used for lowering blood pressure. It effectively reduces the blood pressure. The study also found that hibiscus does not lead to any electrolyte imbalance like that of hydrochlorothiazide.
There is one more study about the consumption of hibiscus tea. As per a research conducted by the Tuft University of Boston, hibiscus tea has antioxidant properties due to which it can help in reducing the high blood pressure by 10 points.
It suggests that to gain this benefit, you should drink two to three cups of hibiscus tea on a daily basis for a few weeks. Hibiscus tea is diuretic in nature, which can effectively reduce blood pressure but increase the urge for urination.
Health Benefits of Drinking Hibiscus Tea
Hibiscus tea can prove to be very beneficial if it is used in moderate amounts. Some of the benefits of hibiscus tea are mentioned below:
1) Hibiscus tea has diuretic properties. Because of this, it contributes towards making the kidney and urinary system of the body healthy. Hibiscus tea has an anti-urolithiasis characteristic, by which it reduces all the harmful compounds that help towards the formation of kidney stones.
2) Hibiscus tea is also useful in curing liver diseases. It is also capable of healing the wounds and also has anti-microbial characteristics. The research study has also concluded that drinking hibiscus tea can efficiently cure the liver diseases because of its antioxidant properties.
3) Drinking two to three cups of hibiscus tea daily is also associated with weight loss.
4) Hibiscus tea has been found to reverse the effect of type II diabetes. A research study was performed with people suffering from type II diabetes, stated that drinking hibiscus tea regularly could help to lower the cholesterol level, harmful triglycerides and also the low-density lipoprotein. As it reduces the level of these, drinking hibiscus tea can assist in managing type II diabetes.
5) Protocatechuic acid is also present in hibiscus tea. This acid has antioxidant and anti-tumor characteristics. One of the studies performed by Department and Institute of Biochemistry at Chung Shan Medical and Dental College has shown that drinking hibiscus tea triggers the apoptosis process which can help to stop the growth of cancerous cells.
6) Odigie IP had performed a research study which stated that hibiscus tea has antihypertensive and cardio-protective properties. These properties of hibiscus tea contribute towards curing people who suffer from hypertension. It can also reduce the risks of any cardiovascular disorder.
7) Hibiscus is loaded with ascorbic acid, which helps to enhance the immune system of the body. The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial characteristic of hibiscus tea is known to protect us from cold and flu. It offers a cooling effect, which provides comfort while suffering from fever.
Side Effects of Drinking Hibiscus Tea
Hibiscus tea may interact with certain medicines and counter their effects. This can prove to be risky. You should be careful. Some of the side effects of hibiscus tea are as follows:
1) Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid hibiscus tea. It may lead to the risk of miscarriage in case of pregnant women.
2) Hibiscus tea may react with the anti-cancer and anti-viral drugs.
3) If you are taking medicines for lowering your blood pressure, you should avoid drinking hibiscus tea. It may counter the effects of these medicines.
4) Too much of hibiscus can lead to a feeling of intoxication. Therefore it should be avoided in cases of driving and some serious physical activities.
5) Hibiscus may also affect the way in which acetaminophen is metabolized in the body. However, the negative impact of this isn’t much prevalent.
6) Hibiscus tea should also be avoided by people taking chloroquine for malaria, as the tea can reduce the amount in which the body is absorbing the medicine.
7) Hibiscus should be avoided by people who suffer from low blood pressure.
It is often recommended to restrict the intake of hibiscus tea if you’re on certain medications. Too much of hibiscus tea can interact with these medicines and counter the effects of these medicines which may slow the process of recovery.
It is better to drink hibiscus tea in moderation to avoid the side-effects. So, you should be aware of how many cups of hibiscus tea can you drink per day and be on the safe side.
Take a sip of this sour tea by adding certain flavors and enjoy its benefits.